TEACHING-EMPOWERING-MENTORING-BUILDING OPPORTUNITY Mission: to partner with individuals and communities in Western Kenya to support entrepreneurial activities, education and health through training programmes, scholarships, water and sanitation projects

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Teaching language and raising awareness

The last three days have been taken up with teacher workshops offering strategies for reading, writing, vocabulary development. We had a smaller group than expected, but that always leads to better interaction. Next week we go to Maseno where we expect about 50 participants.

Thanks to some donations, I have a workshop planned for the beginning of February with clergy about responses to domestic violence, which is very widespread and even accepted as normal here in Kenya. The topic is usually swept under the rug. I hope to break the reluctance to even talk about it. I did a mini presentation last year with a 100 or so rural women. It wasn't easy to get them to understand what the point was. 'If my husband doesn't beat me it means he doesn't love me.' I'm hoping a dialogue will start through the churches which have powerful influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment